Basics is a 6 class program offered for any parent or caregiver of a child or adolescent living with mental illness. The program is taught by trained parents who have had similar experiences with their own children.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
The next class will be held:
Tuesdays, Sept. 12 to Oct. 17, 2017
6:00 to 8:00 PM
The class will meet at the McLaren Hospital Campus in Lansing. Details will be provided by the instructors when your registration is complete.